Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post Nine

Mr. McClung

Stay true stay you

This post is about a blog created by Mr. McClung. These are end of the year wrap ups reflecting on what he has learned throughout the year. I chose to read and summarize his blog post from the year 2008-2009 and 2010-2011. I am going to summarize the tips that he listed in his posts. make sure you pay attention to your audience and let them lead your teachings. Make sure to keep things student centered. Be flexible. Nothing you do is ever going to be perfect. The lesson you plan is going to be different while it is still in your head verses when you actually teach it. When things go wrong just try and fix it and do it with a smile. Don't let your students know your stressing. One word: communicate. This is such a hard skill to master and many people have difficulty doing it. Make sure you communicate well with your students and your coworkers. Build relationships not just with your students but with your fellow teachers as well. Do not make expectations for your students you will be setting them up for disappointment and failure.  If you still find yourself doing this make sure you do not scold them if they don't meet them. Remember that your job is to pick them up when they fall and brush them and send them back in their way. Do not be afraid of technology. Listen to your students and take interest in their lives. Get to know your students. Never stop learning. It is never to late to change the way you think, learn, or even your teaching style. Everything you do needs to keep the focus of your students. They need to always come number one even when a lot is going on in your life. Keep everything that is going on in your life and place at the doorway. Do not let it come into your classroom. Don't allow other to bring you down. If you are excited about the new things you are going to learn keep it that way. Stay true to yourself and don't let other ruin it. Also don't hold others to be as into the same things you are. Not everyone is ready or excited about change as you are. It's okay to be the outsider. Stick to whatever path you chose. Hold on to your common core beliefs. Do not take over for the student when they are doing something. Allow them to make mistakes and figure it out in their own. They will struggle but in the long run the will master those skills. Don't put yourself in a rut. Keep yourself in a postive light and don't get comfortable.  

I agree with every single thing he wrote. I do not see anything wrong with anything he said. I find it all to be things we need to work on and keep in the top of our minds. I think so many teachers lose sight of why they began teaching. With all the drama and bull they have to deal with on a day to day basis i honestly don't blame them. We have to keep our students in the forefront though. If we lose our light then they are the ones that are going to suffer. I had multiple teachers that never helped me or gave me a second glance. But I had two wonderful teachers that helped me more then any one could have. One got me a mentor and a speech therapist the other gave me food and clothes when I had none. These are two wonderful ladies that have inspired me to become a teacher. I strive to be like them. I love how he did reflections on what he has learned. I think every teacher needs to read this. Maybe then the ones that need the hint will get it. All the things he said are things we tell our children every day. It is good though to find someone that is actually doing what they speak.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you will make annual reflections like Mr. McClung.

    Good summary of the points he made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ash,
    I agree with Dr. Strange very good points. I believe communication is the key to a successful relationship with the students and others. I see you stated that we, as teachers, should not set expectations for the students; but I think that we should. The students need to experience and learn that even if they do not accomplish what they intend to; that they can still achieve the goals by pushing ahead. they will have expectations in the workforce and need to learn at a early time that they can still go on if they mess up.
    I think that the reflections Mr. McClung is right on target, and we as upcoming teachers should make reflections of ourselves now and when we become teachers.

    ReplyDelete