Sunday, February 26, 2012

C4T #2

Michael Kaechele Concrete Classroom

Recent Blog: My Christmas Bonus
Christmas Tree with lights

In this blog Michael talks about what it feels like to get recognized for  basically doing his job. He talks about how his school is PBL. He says how the PBL coach came by to check their progress and gave him the statement, "You don't really follow the PBL model, but don't change anything." . He states how in his previous job as a concrete worker he would receive bonuses and how that compliment meant more to him then all those bonuses did.

I may not know him but I feel as though he did deserve this compliment. I feel as though any teacher doing his or her job deserves a compliment. They need the pick me ups just like children do. If you give someone a compliment it makes them feel as though they are on the right course, that they do matter. In this world it is so hard to be a teacher and anything that puts a little spark back in you is definitely needed.

 "I don't know either"

This blog is about how with a recent project on Genocide he tries to take the kids from teacher centered learning to student teacher learning. He decided to let the kids create mini-documentaries. His kids after much struggle he decided to create a template. When he asked the students what they struggled with they said it was not the research but the end product that gave them issues. They said I don't know what you want and his reply was " I don't either."

I found this to be really powering and inspirational. I think it is okay for the teacher to not really know what they want the end product to look like. I think if the teacher knows exactly what they want the end product to look like then the students can never meet that standard. If the teacher has no idea what they want then it gives the student more room to be creative and come up with their own ideas. I think in this aspect then the teacher may just be surprised with what they get handed if they allow the students free roam.

No comments:

Post a Comment