Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blog Post #4

The of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale

This video tells briefly about what a podcast is and gives a couple of ideas about the benefits of podcasting. One benefit is that if your child is sick then they can go online to listen to lectures. Also you can hook up your ipod in the car and relisten to lectures. It also gives parents insight about what their child is learning in school. One good thing is having the students create podcasting is found on the higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy which every educator strives for.

I unfortunately did not like this video. It was jumbled up and all over the place. I did find some good tidbits from it about if a child is sick and so forth. Things I had not thought of but I feel as though it said a "title" then gave very little details to go with that tittle. It had things that didn't really seem to fit in there such as the baby with the lullaby. I also feel as though I am no where closer to understanding what a podcast is. I am still baffled.

First Graders create Podcast

The book cover of Vacation Under the Volcano


This blog describes in detail the steps it took their first grade class to create a podcast. They did a podcast in an interview type process on a Magic Tree House book called Vacation under the Volcano. The teacher read the book aloud in class then chapter by chapter set up questions and answers for them to do in the podcast. The students were very into critiquing their work and making it their best.

I found this article so interesting. I never would of thought to do this process with early elementary children. It just goes to show exactly how in tune students are to technology. I am learning more and more about how vital technology is in the classroom and I am becoming more and more open to using it in my classroom.  

Podcast Collection

A podcast is a "radio style" audio clip. It can be used on itunes or other podcasting service. Podcasts can contain any information that you want. It can be listened on a MP3 player or other devices. They give some good tips on completing podcasts such as making sure you know the software you are working with and give yourself plenty of time to complete the project.  The site also gives a generous amount of idea topics, time schedule, and even a rubic for grading.

I found this blog insightful and full of good solid information. It is good to finally understand what a podcast is. I was so confused on whether or not it contained video. I am still a little shaky on how I can use this to do  my lectures as it has been mentioned. I see wonderful ideas on getting the kids to create podcasts. I think creating the podcasts will be such a wonderful skill for the children to mastery. I think they will have fun and learn a lot of facts.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good start. If you still don't understand the purpose of podcasts consider looking at the rest of the helpful sources in the blog assignments manual.
    Your post had a lot of writing issues. Perhaps you just didn't proof read. Carly is hosting a writing session at 6pm on February 23. Consider attending if you have time.

    ReplyDelete